Frequently Asked Questions

1.    What happens if I die without a Will? Does it go to the Government?


2.    What happens if a person dies suddenly and it is unknown if they have a        valid Will?


3.     Can I make changes to my Will at any time?


4.     What role can Public Trustee play in managing someone’s financial and          legal affairs?


5.     What does a Financial Administrator do?

6.     What does a Manager do?


7.      What does an Attorney do?


8.       What are the differences and the roles performed by the South           Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT), Public Advocate           and Public Trustee in protecting vulnerable clients?


9.      How can I protect myself from financial abuse?


10.     What does Public Trustee charge to manage a customer’s financial



There are two main ways in which Public Trustee can manage someone’s financial and legal affairs.

This is either in the capacity as a financial Administrator/Manager or Attorney.

Public Trustee can be appointed as an Administrator for persons who are unable to manage their own affairs, due to impaired mental capacity and Public Trustee can then be appointed to manage a part or all of their financial and legal affairs on their behalf, either by the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) or a Court Order.

© 2020 by Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse.