Frequently Asked Questions

1.    What happens if I die without a Will? Does it go to the Government?


2.    What happens if a person dies suddenly and it is unknown if they have a        valid Will?


3.     Can I make changes to my Will at any time?


4.     What role can Public Trustee play in managing someone’s financial and          legal affairs?


5.     What does a Financial Administrator do?

6.     What does a Manager do?


7.      What does an Attorney do?


8.       What are the differences and the roles performed by the South           Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT), Public Advocate           and Public Trustee in protecting vulnerable clients?


9.      How can I protect myself from financial abuse?


10.     What does Public Trustee charge to manage a customer’s financial



Public Trustee charges commissions and fees in accordance with the Public Trustee Act, 1995 and associated regulations for managing personal estates on behalf of people unable to manage their own affairs (i.e. where Public Trustee is acting in the role of attorney, financial administrator, under a South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) order, manager pursuant to a court order under the Aged and Infirm Persons’ Property Act 1940 or trustee via a court order under the Public Trustee Act, 1995).

The regulated fees are set annually by the Government of South Australia.

For more information and the latest copy of our fees and charges relating to the administration of personal estates please contact Public Trustee or visit our website -

© 2020 by Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse.